[dba-Tech] FW: Solution Seeks Problem

rockysmolin bchacc.com rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat Aug 15 15:38:49 CDT 2020

The other day my desktop went wonky on me.  The distance between the icons both vertically and horizontally increased.  I didn't do anything to cause this (that I know of), but it's Windows, so you don't have to do anything.  Just use it and random things will go wrong without any effort on your part. (To be fair Windows 10 has been their most solid OS, IMO...But I digress...)

Google, being my friend, found the answer - not to the cause, but how to fix. It's an edit of the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Control Panel --> Desktop --> WindowMetrics

There you can modify IconSpacing (the value for horizontal spacing) and IconVerticalSpacing

The legal values go from -480 to -2730 with the (absolute) larger number giving more space between the icons.

The default value is -1125 but for some unknown reason, something changed them both to -1700 something.

Changed them back and everything spaced out correctly on the desktop.

In my search for a solution I noted a couple of references to windows updates causing this.  So perhaps...

Anyway, I thought I would post in case someone else runs into the same snafu.

Best,

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software