[dba-Tech] pc has visual problems

rocky smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:34:39 CDT 2020

Oh, laptop.  Never mind, L)

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-Tech [mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Susan Harkins
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 11:10 AM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] pc has visual problems

For a laptop?

Susan H.

If you rule out a problem with the monitor, then the next thing would be the video card.  That's an easy, relatively inexpensive fix, just swap out the card and you're good to go.

That's for starters.

My pc has vertical and horizontal lines this morning. Rebooting does change things a bit, but it doesn't get rid of them. I've switched my main monitor so I can still work, but I'm down a screen, which is inconvenient. I'll live. 😊

Instead of buying a new pc, I'm wondering if there might be an easy fix -- maybe hardware circuitry or something? I have no idea what the insides of a pc look like and I don't know if it's even possible to switch out a "card" the way you can in a tower. At first, I thought I'd just run disc repair, but the other monitors are fine, so I don't think that will work. If it were a disc read problem, wouldn't I see the same lines on another monitor?

So, my husband's pc shopping this morning, but I've told him not to buy anything yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. I haven't done any research yet -- I have too much word to do today to attend to it until later this afternoon.

Susan H