[dba-Tech] about google's floc

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 11 21:41:47 CDT 2021

big fuss about google's floc
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/04/10/why-you-should-never-use-google-chrome-on-your-apple-iphone-ipad-imac-or-macbook/?sh=6fbc54ef7ab7>.

if all retailers in my town were to band together to collectively track
where i shop hereand what i buy, would i be upset? no, 'cuz i think of
shopping as a public activity where i've zero expectation of privacy. if
there's an argument against that, what is it?

if on the other hand a retailer installs a trojan on a device of mine
(as the chinese maker of my new tablet did), i'm upset 'cuz i've an
expectation that i get to choose what i publish, so i  complain publicly
and ask the retailer to stop selling that shite, and naturally i remove
the trojan.

more interestingmebbe for people like readers here. closed-source
closed-architecturesystemslike those made by apple impose strict
top-down corporate control of what software its customers can use. and
how they can use it, andthereforehave the potential to prevent snooping
if they choose to do so. on the other hand, open source
open-architecture systems like android, and open architecture systems
like windows, make such top-downcorporate control impossible.  I prefer
this arrangement because i get to make my own choices. if there's an
argument that my preference is unsound, what is it?

pb