[dba-Tech] Ransomware v. Cloud

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 21:51:40 CDT 2021

I have all of my photos and current client dbs in the cloud.  But I also
have a local hard drive with all the same files.

When I finish with a file I drag and drop it 1) to the cloud (Google drive)
and 2) to the local external ssd. SO in effect, I have 3 copies of every
file - local drive, external drive, and cloud drive.

I do this because I spent my whole adult life doing database
development for clients, many of whose applications were mission critical,
and always had anxiety about not having current off-site backup. And I knew
from experience that from time to time, I would be called on to rescue a
client whose data and/or app went south and they had no backup.

Do a double redundant backup like I have, Arthur, (one local, one 0off
site) and you'll stop worrying about this.