[dba-Tech] Slow Dell

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 00:08:32 CST 2021

Open the Task Manager and minimize it.  Then, when it slows, pop up the TM
and see what's taking all the cpu cycles (when it hangs for a few seconds
and restarts, I'll bet cpu usage is a 100%). Have it sort by CPU usage,
greatest first. And if there's one or two processes hogging all the cycles,
they'll float to the top of the list.

Also on the TM screen, click Startup and disable everything that's not
necessary.

Finally, how much memory does this bad boy have?

Windows take a lot of memory. I have seven apps open and while none of them
are taking any CPU cycles they do consume memory.

I use Edge and have a lot of pages open most of which Edge says are
sleeping to save resources.  Edge still has 37 sub-processes going and is
taking 1.5GB of my 12GB.

Windows is also running 86 background processes (most of which only take
1-20MB) and no cpu cycles at the moment.

Plus 99 WIndows processes, mostly small memory users and no cycles at the
moment.

But any one of those processes could be the culprit.

If it's new there could be some crapware that's running.

Let us know what you find.