[dba-Tech] Network puzzles

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 8 16:44:51 CDT 2021

On 10/6/2021 1:20 PM, Tina N Fields wrote:
> Hello Tech Wizards,
>
> I hope somebody on thus list will have an answer. I want to be able to
> share files between two computers. One is Win 8.1 and the other is Win
> 10. They are both 64-bit. They are on the same network and they have
> no difficulty finding the printers or the Internet. But, I've been
> unable to establish a secure (as in solid or reliable) connection
> between them.
>
> I have turned on the network, printer, and file sharing in the Network
> and Sharing Center. I have made sure that the Function Discovery
> services are on, so they should be publishing themselves on the
> network. I had them connected at one point and even mapped out network
> drives for them, with "reconnect at startup" set to "yes." They have
> since disappeared. On each computer, in File Explorer the network
> shows only that particular computer.
>
> I found a lovely document online that said when both computers are on
> the same network the process is pretty straightforward and offers
> exactly no explanation of what that process might be. Dang!

As someone else suggested, LAN visibility tends to be slow in Windows.
Slower still when OS versions are different. Takes many mins after first
reboot after settings are changed.

Have you set "Make this PC discoverable" on each box? Are you able to
ping each box by IP address name from the other? If so, then also by
machine name? Can Map Network Drive find the desired machine? If not,
have you tried adding the IP address and machine name of the machine to
be connected to each PC's /%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts/ file
(it's one of those ugly Windows hacks, can be done only by Notepad
running at admin level)?

These screeds have helped me with such issues ...

https://www.minitool.com/news/the-network-path-not-found.html
<https://www.minitool.com/news/the-network-path-not-found.html>

https://barcodetopc.com/settings/how-to-make-windows-discoverable/

PB