[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] Win11

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 11:21:51 CDT 2022

I moved to Win 11 a while back, a few months but not sure precisely when. I
barely noticed the difference, other than the Taskbar, which is now
center-aligned. Some say this is because that's how Apple does it, but I
don't agree. I think it's because monitors got so big that it's impractical
to have to go to the bottom left corner frequently. Other
dramatic improvements include rounded corners on windows and dialog boxes
-- a sure-fire performance winner 😀.

More seriously, it integrates Android apps, making it possible to run any
Android app on your PC. That actually *is* significant, IMO.

Not so much a new feature, but a revised one, is the Virtual Desktops. They
are much easier to set up than in Win 10, and are a feature that I very
much like. I have four VDs (gotta think of a new acronym for this feature!)
and find it way better to switch desktops than to fight my way through what
may be maybe eight programs running at once, sharing a single screen. For
example, I have one desktop where I do my coding. It's got Notepad++ and a
Powershell terminal running, which I use to write and compile C and C++
code. When I'm in that mode, my browser running Gmail and Google Calendar
and so on just get in the way, so they live on my "home" desktop. I use a
third with another instance of my browser, but this one is pointed to
several  news sources and nothing else.
Widgets can now be launched from the taskbar, so you can check the weather,
watch the Dow and Nasdaq tank, check the news, and so on.
That's about it, so far as I can see.

--
Arthur