[dba-Tech] Password Manager apps

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 07:28:43 CDT 2022

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 11:02 PM Rocky Smolin <rockysmolin2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've got that autofill on name and address and phone number fields on quite
> a few sites now.  Is that a LastPass function or the browser?  I see it on
> Edge as well as Safari.

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 7:56 PM John Colby <jwcolby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It can be built-in to the browser.  Firefox for example has its own method
of doing this and the methods are similar.  That said, if you read the tech
magazines they are not keen on the security of these alternate methods.
Besides which now you have a store in firefox, and another unrelated and
unsynced store in edge and in xyz browser.

I am not selling anything, I simply started using LastPass way before MS
purchased it and found it useful and quite secure.  The reviewers all rate
it as among the best solutions.  I also use BitWarden because it is free
and open source, or at least the source is kept visible to the world to
allow examination for security holes.  I use it specifically because
LastPass (Microsoft) has been slowly strangling the free users, and lately
imposed a restriction not allowing me to use LastPass both on my computers
and my android devices without paying.  While I do believe in paying for
value, value is also relative to the market.  LastPass and Bitwarden are
similar enough to allow me to continue using Lastpass (free) on my laptop
and Bitwarden (free) on my phone.  And bitwarden can pull the data out of
Lastpass (not sure of the reverse).

So, the upshot is that it never occurred to  me to care where the data is
stored, nor how.  What I care about is end to end encryption (Lastpass has
no access to my store password and so can't leak it), a store on the cloud
to allow the sync process, security in the encryption and decryption
process itself, and ease of use.  LastPass (In My Opinion)  is very good in
all regards, not to mention I am familiar with it now.  And so I use it and
recommend it.  But I have no other skin in the game, I don't care what
anyone else does.  I do think we should all use SOMETHING.  The "in the
browser" solution may be enough for a specific use case.
Colby Consulting