[dba-Tech] Why is gaming the measure of CPU performance?

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 20:18:14 CST 2023

It is because Intel spends all their money hitting that one benchmark, then
advertises the hell out of their processors.  Likewise for me gaming just
doesn't matter.  And for my purposes AMD often wins so I buy AMD
processors.  Plus Intel has done and continues to do such shady crap,
literally paying the OEMS to not use AMD processors.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 6:57 PM Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Here is a typical quote:
> The i3–12100 easily demolishes the six core i5–10400 and Ryzen 3600X in
> gaming performance. In fact, it can often match, and in some cases beat the
> 5600X while driving an RTX 3080.
> Why is gaming the test? I've never played a game on my computers in my
> life! My game is writing code, and I spend a lot of time comparing
> solutions (for example, in C++, what is the fastest way to traverse a
> collection of 100,000 items? Use an array, a vector, a list, etc.) I am
> also very interested in database performance: how quickly can I find
> an item in a table of 1 million rows? How significant is the choice of
> index structure?
>
> What is it about gaming that makes it a valid test of CPU performance?
>
> --
> Arthur

Colby Consulting