[dba-Tech] Why is gaming the measure of CPU performance?

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 18:03:39 CST 2023

I'm going to guess that for the average desktop user in the average
business, or road warrior, we never approach the capabilities of the
machine.  All machines would probably perform nearly the same. To compare
machines with different but like processors, you would need an
application that really tested the box.

Think of it this way - if you give a test to students to gauge their
relative strengths and they all scor 95-100 that test would be too easy for
your purposes. so you devise a test where no one can finish it in the time
allotted nor get all the answers right.  Now you can compare student
strengths.

Gaming is very computationally intense.  So would be perhaps a way to
differentiate processors using a real [rogram to test, doing replicable
operations.

This is just my speculation, though.