[dba-Tech] Another reason to put off W11

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jan 3 16:42:33 CST 2023

If you do anything complicated with Console/Cmd.exe, the WIn 11 changes can be a PITA.

This from the developers of PB:

I have been researching this quite a bit. We have internally not had a lot of
machines updated to Windows 11, but as soon as a few of them did, several of our
in-house utility console applications went awry. Microsoft is moving toward having
the console behave like a VT100 terminal instead of how we have made use of the
console for many years. See: Console Virtual Terminal Sequences

The behavior of the following sequences is based on the VT100 and derived
terminal emulator technologies, most specifically the xterm terminal emulator.
I am finding so far that a console application being used in "terminal" mode can
now only choose either 80 or 132 columns, and I cannot so far find a way to alter
the number of rows in the screen buffer, or the visual height of the window.