[dba-VB] OT: .NET - Data grid syncs to combo

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 26 08:48:45 CST 2003

Marcus,

I started programming in the early 80s and in the late 80s ended up in Turbo
Pascal which went OO.  It was extremely powerful (for the day) yet strongly
typed unlike the C languages of the day.  I purchased all of the Borland
toolboxes, the application framework etc., bought books and really got into
the whole inheritance thing

I worked in that until I moved to Access in the early 90s.  While Access was
a huge step up in drag and drop design functionality, and radically
different (and extremely powerful) in the use of the event driven paradigm,
it was a huge step backwards on the OO side since it had nothing at all that
even remotely resembled inheritance.

.Net is almost like old home week.  It is a highly structure system, with a
huge base framework that provides instant functionality like I have never
seen before, with true inheritance, with this new XML thingy built right in,
with access to data from anywhere.  The biggest problem I foresee is simply
that the vast scope makes learning it a chore.  But is so incredibly
powerful, it is simply amazing.

I was reading a tech paper last night where they built up XML docs in a word
processor, saved them to a file (just for demo purposes), then simply used a
built in property of a built in framework class to load the file and bind to
that data.  But not just bind as we know it.  They bound the data to
properties of the form.  Any property of any control (and forms inherit from
the control class so I'm told) can be bound to data.  Which makes possible
things like fore color or back color or font a property of the record.
Painless storage of size / location of forms.  Painless user modification
and storage of color preferences.  If you can imagine it, you can store it
in a table and drive it from there.

But not just tables.  The objects that actually load and expose the data can
use XML as easily as they can use tables.  They can use arrays.  The arrays
can be simple arrays of values, or arrays of objects - CLASSES for example,
and you can be binding a control property to a property of the class.

This stuff is truly awesome.  Built in collection functionality for stacks,
queues, arrays that you can just dynamically add new members to (not to
mention your simple collection).  And anything can be sub classed to add
your own functionality.  Not just interface inheritance, but true
implementation inheritance.  Do you want a collection that stores an object,
with built in checking to prevent storing anything but that object?  Just
subclass the collection class and over ride the .add method, typing the
object input parameter.  Done!

As can be seen, I am truly psyched about this thing.  I did a little
programming in VB (I wish it had been more now) but it was so difficult to
get at data (and I do databases) so it just didn't offer enough to make it
worth the switch.  .Net on the other hand is an order of magnitude more
powerful, and getting at data is second nature.

And as if all that isn't enough, you can pick your language.

Amazing stuff.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting