[dba-VB] Text File Into Access Using Visual Basic 6

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 28 10:39:07 CST 2004

For a quick and dirty on a csv text file.
With a Jet install you should have access to TEXT OLEDB Provider
Then
oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
       "Data Source=c:\somepath\;" & _
       "Extended Properties=""text;HDR=Yes;FMT=Delimited"""

The HDR = Yes indicates Column names are included in the file.

'Then open a recordset based on a select on the actual file

oRs.Open "Select * From MyTextFile.txt", oConn, _
         adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
See
HOWTO: Open Delimited Text Files Using the Jet Provider's Text IIsam
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q262/5/37.ASP&NoWebContent=1
and
http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#OLEDBProviderForMicrosoftJetText

--