[dba-VB] Smtp mail from vb.net

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Aug 18 20:57:47 CDT 2005

I'm trying to get .net to send email for me without going through Outlook.
I found the following on the web:

Imports System.Web.Mail
Imports System.IO
Module basMail
    'TWO FUNCTIONS
    'SAME EXCEPT FIRST TAKES A STRING FOR ATTACHMENT
    'SECOND TAKES AN ARRAY LIST SO YOU CAN SEND MULTIPLE
    'ATTACHMENTS
    'FROM: Email address FRom
    'TO: EMAIL address To
    'Subject: Subject; Body: MessageText
    'Optional CC, BCC: CC and bcc recipients
    'SMTPSERVER: Optional, if not specified
    'local machine is used
    'AttachmentFile (first function: Optional, file name)
    'AttachmentFiles (second function: Optional, list of
    'attachments in form of an array list)

    Public Sub SendMailOneAttachment(ByVal From As String, _
      ByVal sendTo As String, ByVal Subject As String, _
      ByVal Body As String, _
      Optional ByVal AttachmentFile As String = "", _
      Optional ByVal CC As String = "", _
      Optional ByVal BCC As String = "", _
      Optional ByVal SMTPServer As String = "Mail.optonline.com")

        Dim myMessage As MailMessage

        Try
            myMessage = New MailMessage()
            With myMessage
                .To = sendTo
                .From = From
                .Subject = Subject
                .Body = Body
                .BodyFormat = MailFormat.Text
                'CAN USER MAILFORMAT.HTML if you prefer

                If CC <> "" Then .Cc = CC
                If BCC <> "" Then .Bcc = ""

                If FileExists(AttachmentFile) Then _
                 .Attachments.Add(AttachmentFile)

            End With

            If SMTPServer <> "" Then _
               SmtpMail.SmtpServer = SMTPServer
            SmtpMail.Send(myMessage)

        Catch myexp As Exception
            Throw myexp
        End Try

    End Sub

When I call the function not passing in an smtp server, nothing obvious
happens, no exception thrown.  No email is delivered to my mail box though.

If I pass in mySMTP server for outlook mail.optonline.com, it throws an
error "system.web.httpexception - could not access cdo.message object".

Any ideas?  If not does anyopne have a drop in function for sending email
that they can walk me through using??

http://folding.stanford.edu/