[dba-VB] Properly importing code

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jan 24 14:08:19 CST 2005

I was looking at moving my SysVars to VB.Net.  I found an "address book"
project in the VB.net book I am studying that builds and maintains an
address book stored out to XML.  It is AMAZING how easy this stuff is with
.net.  You build a class that serializes an object, then inherit that object
in any class that stores your data.  That class can now export / import
(serialize / deserialize) any property that is read/write for any object
that inherits the serializer.  Feed the data class to a class that opens a
file and serializes / deserializes an object and you now have data read or
written somewhere (to a stream).  In this case the stream goes to disk, but
it can go a lot of different places - FTP, Encryption etc.

Three classes (SerializableData, Address, AddressBook) and the form and it's
done.  Each class is tiny.

This stuff is simply amazing.  Oh for the day I understand enough to program
as easily as I do in Access / VBA.

What I can do though is modify this to be a Sysvar system.  Plus keep it
around as a template for other such needs.

http://folding.stanford.edu/