[dba-VB] [AccessD] Dot Net, where to start?

Ron Allen chizotz at mchsi.com
Fri Apr 27 11:47:42 CDT 2007

Gustav,

We use (shudder) Crystal Reports.

Crystal is bug-ridden, or perhaps I should say bug-riddled, and although they
fix seemingly thousands of bugs between versions (at least according to their
lists of changes), they never seem to bother to fix many basic problems. There
are many bugs in Crystal that have been around so long (years) that long-time
Crystal developers tend to think of them as "quirky features" rather than the
maddening bugs they actually are.

That said, overall Crystal does a good job and, in truth, is far more powerful
than Access as a reporting tool. And despite it's obscene cost, it's cheaper
than most other solutions.

I haven't looked at the reporting tool in 2005 yet, but the version I looked
at a couple of years ago was not at all intuitive, not nearly as powerful as
Crystal, and had many problems of it's own.

Ron