[dba-VB] Renaming DBA-VB

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Oct 23 02:27:29 CDT 2007

Hi John et al

That covers pretty much my opinion.
However, the new name isn't important too me, I just found VB(6) too restricted. I don't think anyone would be offended by a post on Java, Python or any other language, even VBScript - in fact I would welcome it - it's just that the audience with a relevant knowledge is quite limited so response would probably be low. But could we develop an audience for, say, Ruby On Rails it would be great. Even though we here at Cactus Data have decided for Visual Studio and C#, I would at least browse such postings because of the relevance to databases and because you can always learn something.

In fact, one of the strengths of our lists is the members' broad background often supported by solid experience from real life, and we should encourage any step to maintain this.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 23-10-2007 00:29 >>>
This really isn't about the Access list.  That will remain named as it is I
presume.  The discussion is about renaming the VB list to embrace a wider
audience.

It is my opinion that we should not cast too wide a net or we will end up
attracting people for every platform under the sun and they will soon leave
because there is no support available for their respective platform.

I thought we should simply widen the target to include the .Net platform,
specifically VB.Net.  The list is currently VB oriented, and widening the
scope to include VB.Net (which is a large percentage of the current traffic)
would be entirely appropriate.

Just my opinion.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting