[dba-VB] Renaming DBA-VB

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 23 07:21:07 CDT 2007

Gustav,

One of our list members mentioned that he didn't hang out on our vb list
because it never gained critical mass and therefore the membership was low
and the responses to questions low or nonexistent.  I think this is a real
concern.  AccessD is specialized in Access, everyone there knows and "loves"
Access and come there to get assistance or share their knowledge about
Access.

Now we create a list about "programming".  That is fine except now someone
come to the list and post a question about Ruby On Rails and get no answers
because while everyone there is interested in following such threads, no one
actually uses it.  The thread never starts, and the poster goes away and
finds a Ruby On Rails list so that he can get his questions answered.

Make an assumption that somehow we achieve critical mass and we have 40
questions a day posted in each of Ruby, Java, Python, VBScript, VB6, VB.Net,
C#, J#, F#, c#, D#, E# Z# and A flat Minor.  I am on the list to learn about
VB (the original focus) or in my case VB.Net, and I am getting flooded with
emails about subjects which (not being a musician) I am not interested in
nor do I have the expertise to appreciate.

Neither scenario works.  We keep AccessD focused on Access for a reason, so
that it can be home to people interested in the subject.

Having said that, we can certainly host a list on "Programming", in which
discussions about programming concepts and even specific problems in
whatever language are encouraged.  But I for one would not vote to make the
VB list that list.

I use VB.Net a lot these days and I would like a list focused on the dot net
technology, while holding on to our VB brethren who have not yet moved up.
I vote to make the VB List a VB list which adds VB.Net and even other VB
variations if desired, but still focused on VB.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting