[dba-VB] ControlChars in C#

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Mar 25 13:20:37 CDT 2008

And of course all aggravated by "sql server gurus" who execute code through
the command prompt.

I need (and am building) a "quick and dirty" script to execute about 20-30
various queries, exports to csv, imports from csvs etc to take an order for
data and turn it into a csv for shipment.  I need that because it takes a
half a day of executing crap by hand to fill an order that should take 5
minutes of my time to specify.  I have exactly two things I need to do to
specify an order, enter a "number of records to export" and modify an
existing view in a template database to pull the right set of data.
Sometimes I have to do a few more things, but even then it is about 1/2 hour
of real work.  The rest of my time is executing queries, one by one, waiting
for the results to be ready to run the next.

In the end I am writing a .Net application that stores everything in
metadata tables but that takes time to design and debug.  However the time
will be well worthwhile if I can fill an order in 5 minutes that takes me a
half day to do by hand.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting