[dba-VB] SCRUM: Northwind.NET v.1.1 (Alpha) with MS Access Backend published

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:02:34 CDT 2009

Hi All,
I have been seeing SQL Server compact edition for a while now, but I have
not read up about it yet.  If it is so light as Gustav just outlined then I
really should study it.  It sounds just what the doctor ordered, I have
always thought, since MSDE 1.0 was launched, that it was too heavy.

However, I re-call struggling with a machine that did not have Jet 3.51, and
I suppose that installing / using SQL Server CE may also have issues.

What the pros / cons to building an XML only BE?

As I write this, I see the following potential list of BE's

XML only - Simplest Implementation at installation time.
SQL Server CE - Not Sure as have to study
Jet - Ideal for low volume of data and low numbers of users.
SQL Server Express - where mid sized data, mid users and hand installation
is possible if required.
SQL Server Standard -where mid sized data, mid users and hand installation
is possible if required and cost is not an issue
mySQL - high data size and licencing cost is an issue
Oracle - Just because it is there.

So where does that leave the discussion on what to do next?

I am off to read up on SQL Sever CE

Mark