[dba-VB] "Google Maps Navigator" Sample MS Access Application

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Aug 7 17:26:11 CDT 2009

HI Gustav,

From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 2:03 AM
To: dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] "Google Maps Navigator" Sample MS Access Application

Hi Shamil

I'm not familiar with the MS Web Browser control but in .Net I have used
this URL to display just the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=da&geocode=&q=kalkbr%C3%A6nder
il%C3%B8bskaj+4+a,+denmark&sll=46.377254,-86.484375&sspn=28.638122,54.84375&
ie=UTF8&t=p&s=AARTsJo6QIZIUSLZJjht_Zf2KrLNZ8c1xw&ll=55.720439,12.595997&spn=
0.01692,0.036478&z=14&iwloc=addr&output=embed

Maybe you can decode its parts for your purpose.

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 07-08-2009 12:43 >>>
Hi All,

Have you ever tried to work with Google Maps in MS Access application via MS
Web Browser control?

To do some simple navigation you can use URLs like the following:

Finland

http://maps.google.com/maps?type=photo&mode=preview&ll=65,27&spn=5,5

Using this approach I have made a simple sample application, which
screenshot you can see here:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/temp/GoogleMapsNavigator.jpg

My question is: Do you know what format of URLs to use to show just a map?

I know there exist the Google Maps API
(http://code.google.com/intl/en-EN/apis/maps/) for advanced usage of Google
Maps via JavaScript but I wanted to try to bypass usage of that API this
time.

For the ones interested to experiment via simple Google Maps navigation
approach I have posted MS Access sample application here:

http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600

You can download it using the following URL(watch line wraps):

http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600#D
ownloadId=78352  (175KB)

Our Northwind.CodePlex.com team could use the above approach + Google Maps
API in .NET sample application.

More advanced question is: Is there any way to react in MS Access hosting
form's VBA code to the changes done in Google Maps map, e.g. Zoom-in/out,
Move of map .? I mean when Zoon-in/out happens there should be AJAX (Google
Maps API) calls to the Google server - are there any web browser events,
corresponding to that API calls?(I know Browser navigation can be trapped
via web browser events but this isn't the question.)

P.S. Some more sample URLs:

Finland

http://maps.google.com/maps?type=photo&mode=preview&ll=65,27&spn=5,5

UK