[dba-VB] Why are my data Context Objects soooo sloooow

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 04:23:09 CST 2009

Hello All,

I am running VS 2008 on a powerful machine with loads of resources.  My
project is a DNN project sitting in the wwwroot folder which allows me to
change a few lines of code and then immediately see the results in the web
app.

However, when I manipulate the Data Context Objects in the AppCode Folder,
the response times are dreadfully, slow.  It takes three to four minutes to
open, edit, save and close one of these objects.

I have tried it on a second machine and the results are similar.

I can edit the Dbml files outside of the solution, but I am not sure whether
that is safe to do so, when I edit them outside the solution (copying and
pasting to another folder and then opening the dbml file from there), they
open instantly.  When I say "safe to do so", does the project file or the
sln file need to be updated with the changes that have been made.  I do get
some warning message about "cannot find web.config, so using the file from
the dbml file instead" which I accepted.

I recall Shamil mentioned that manually editing these within the individual
files is not a good idea, so i guess that he may have been suffering the
same problems as I am, IE so sloooow to open and close.

TIA for an help, if I have not expressed the problem clearly enough, let me
know,

Mark