[dba-VB] C# - Direct data manipulation

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Dec 2 13:32:10 CST 2009

Shamil,

I have not.

All of that is rather esoteric stuff for a non DBA.  My job is processing data, and that is only a
small part of my job, i.e. this is only one of many clients, and the only one that needs this kind
of SQL Server stuff.

As I have said many times, if my job was to go into a company every day and play DBA then I would
learn many more things SQL Server related.  As things stand I learn just enough to make things work,
and a LITTLE extra in search of efficiency.  It is certainly not that I don't want to, I just don't
have the time.

In the end I find the method I use comfortable from many angles.  I have to do some things that
require creating views, other "processing" tables and so forth.  It really just works (for me) to do
things this way, have separate databases to hold all of the "junk" associated with each list.  Kind
of the old "encapsulation" thing.

Your suggestion would of course end up with all tables inside of a single "database", and as such
the need for the Database parameter would go away but I still have to do the same thing to many
different tables.

Again, could this be done by one of the experts on the SQL Server list.  Probably!  Will I ever get
there?  Uhhhh doubtful.