[dba-VB] Projects vs Solutions

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 19 07:10:03 CST 2009

Gustav,

Well, the point is that I am doing my job and suddenly I have to do something for the client that I
have no solution for.  This latest was a good example.  I tried to import three files coming back
from a processing vendor and one imported, the other two failed.  So I write an applet that scans
through the file sorting lines of the file into two output files, good and bad.  When I am done the
remaining "good" file now imports.

What do I do with this applet?  One thing I can do is to just leave it where it is and hope I don't
lose it, because sure as the sun rises I will need to do this again.  Or do I create a bigger
application, build a menu in it, and place this applet on the menu?

Does this Fixit applet grow?  Conceivably, if I find some file that isn't fixed (or problem found)
as easily as these files were, then this applet could grow to include different tests.  This applet
has its own form with a set of text boxes to display paths / files, buttons to select folders and
files and a button to perform the cleanup.  I probably will add another button to open the resulting
"bad" file in an editor so that I can see and fix the problems in the data.  Perhaps a button to
append the fixed lines back to the end of the "good" file before the import.  Stuff like that.

So applets can grow, and the main application grows as I write new applets to perform various
processing tasks, and those new applets get added into the main application.