[dba-VB] Initial start of remote desktop fails - Windows 2003

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Apr 3 08:13:59 CDT 2010

I also use LogMeIn for some clients (at their insistence).  It has "issues" such as:

1) It costs money for the "good" version
2) It insists on retaining the focus at the wrong times
3) It insists on NOT retaining the focus at the right times

If I am in LogMeIn and I hit Alt-Tab it does NOT switch between the open applications on the remote
computer but instead moves me back to the next app on my machine.  My brain is trained to use
alt-tab to move from one app to another on the desktop and I am CONSTANTLY switching back to my
local computer instead of switching to the next app on the remote computer.  It is TOTALLY annoying
to have to (remember to and) pick up the mouse to click on the other application that I want to use
on the remote computer.

OTOH (using dual monitors here at the office) if I click into an application back in my other
monitor it leaves LogMeIn kinda sorta mostly in control of the main (big) monitor.  If I want to use
any of the other applications "underneath" LogMeIn on the main monitor I have to intentionally
minimize LogMeIn so that I can see the tool bar (and thus the other apps) on the main monitor.

Let me just say that I HATE LogMeIn.  Yes, LogMeIn works, and when a gun is held to my head I use it.

However it is NOT remote desktop.  It does not ACT LIKE remote desktop.  Remote desktop acts like
Windows in every sense, EXACTLY like Windows in every sense, because it IS Windows in every sense,
not some browser trying to act like Windows.  Given my druthers I will install Hamachi on the remote
then use RD over that Hamachi VPN.  Works great!

Back to my issue, RD is not SUPPOSE TO require "the remote user to be logged in himself".  In fact
RD (on Windows 2003) has TWO available remote sessions available and BOTH are usable remotely.  You
are SUPPOSED to be able to boot the server, NEVER LOG IN LOCALLY and RD in from two different
clients.  I know this because my client in CT uses one login from her home and I use the other login
from here in NC.

So it is an issue with my server (or something), not an issue with RD specifically.

I just thought maybe someone else had seen this and figured out how to fix it.