[dba-VB] SQL Server / 2003 server locks up

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 9 16:46:06 CDT 2010

I am developing an application in C# which executes stored procedures in SQL Server using threading.
  I cannot strictly blame the threading but I am getting somewhat frequent "lockup" of the entire
server (Windows 2003), which I have not experienced very often (or at least in a long time) prior to
using threading.  Various folks assisted me in finding SQL Server properties to set CPU affinity and
the like which seriously reduced the lockups I used to experience.

Is anyone out there experiencing this phenomenon?  It doesn't occur often enough to really get a
handle on what "causes" the lockup but I have seen instances where I will attempt to move a window
on the screen and suddenly it locks up.

It has gotten to the point where my assistant is gun shy about running (testing) the application
while I am actually using the SQL Server database.

On a related note, I am using SMO to do things in SQL server from C#.  For example I have a fairly
complex process that exports large tables out to .txt files for processing, then imports the
resulting CSV files back in, adds fields, updates those fields, creates and drops indexes.  All of
that processing used to occur in a single database which is the "live data" database.  I am now
building temp databases to do the export out and import back in processes in, basically so that this
processing is happening in a "temp" database and is not causing bloat in my live database.  That is
working nicely and is dead easy to do.  Likewise I am copying template databases and so forth using SMO.

SMO appears to be a wrapper around existing SQL Server system SPs exposing that stuff directly to C#
in an OO environment.  Really nice stuff.