[dba-VB] SQL Server / 2003 server locks up

Hans-Christian Andersen ha at phulse.com
Thu Jun 10 04:25:13 CDT 2010

While I could not give you any technical advice with regards to your
application or SQL Server, it seems rather antithetical to the whole premise
of multi-threading (a rather robust technology at this point) to have the
server lock up when you are doing things like dragging a window. Have you
tried monitoring the performance graphs to see what happens just before the
lock-up? You might have a run-away process spawning too many threads or a
thread which is consuming too many resources and memory, causing your server
to start paging like mad. Perhaps your threads are doing too many things
(typically you have to strike a balancing between keeping your threads
light-weight vs the overhead of spawning threads). Seems a bit quaint to
have an application so specific that it requires you to tweak the scheduler
of the operating system. Just a thought?

Hans-Christian
Software Developer, UK

tel: +44 (0)782 894 5456
e-mail: hans.andersen at phulse.com