[dba-VB] ASP.NET Excel file locked after reading

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Jun 15 00:35:46 CDT 2010

Hi Doug

Stupid question perhaps, but why do you need to open it more than once? Or to be more precise: Can't you reuse the connection from the view for the import?

/gustav

>>> dw-murphy at cox.net 15-06-2010 00:41 >>>
Folks,

I have an application on a web site that allows users to upload excel files
and then import the data into their records. After the file is uploaded
there is a routine that reads the header row and then reads the first ten
records and then presents a page where the user selects which excel columns
go into which field in the table we import into. All that works fine. The
problem is that intermittently the excel file is locked, by an open
connection I assume, and I can't get access to read in the data for the
final import, I just get a error that the file is in use. All connections
are closed after use so I can't figure out where the lock is coming from.
Some similar postings I have read on the web indicate that forced garbage
collection is required for this problem.

Any one have similar experience or suggestions to get rid of the locking?

Thanks in advance.

Doug