[dba-VB] Recent Discussion from MS on VB.Net and C# in VS 2010

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Mar 16 12:02:00 CDT 2010

Actually Gustav, you DO build system logic the way you speak and right.
That's the entire purpose of a 'plain language coding method'.

When you are given a task, you aren't told:

001101101001000110010100111000011010100100110111000110101011100001101100
10101010

If you are, you need to either put down the pipe, or move back to
Earth......

Instead, you are told:

When an Order's Total Value is less than $150, then we need to charge
15% shipping and handling, instead of 10%.

In VB 6 (sorry, I know I'm behind on the VB curve...), that would be
this, in the 'Order' Class:

Property Get ShippingAndHandlingFee() As Currency
If Me.TotalValue<$150 Then
	ShippingAndHandlingFee=Me.TotalValue * .15
Else
	ShippingAndHandlingFee=Me.TotalValue * .10
End If
End Property

Now, because of the 'plain language' ability of VB, anyone with a
general understanding of Visual Basic would know immediately what is
going on.

More importantly, someone without even a hint of VB skill, could see
that in the 'Order' Class, the Shipping and Handling 'Property' is 10%
for orders 150 and up, and 15% for below 150.

Drew