[dba-VB] Unusual VB Request

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Feb 19 02:20:54 CST 2011

Hi Michael

But is VB runtime allowed? Or you could use FreeBasic or PowerBasic (Stuart may advice on this).
If so, why not try? Write a dummy where getOSUserName(address, host) always returns some username for a test.

/gustav

>>> michael at ddisolutions.com.au 19-02-2011 01:06 >>>
Hi Guys,

Maybe someone can confirm or negate my thoughts on a client request I
have received?

Consider this code...

import psdi.util.AXWin32Util;

Call to DLL:

        if (this.debug) {

          System.out.println("Checking for user at ip " + address + " on
" + host);

        }

        OSUsername = AXWin32Util.getOSUserName(address, host).trim();

Username is one value not delimeted list

        if ((OSUsername != null) && (OSUsername.length() > 0)) {

          if (this.debug) {

            System.out.println("Found user " + OSUsername + " on " +
host);

          }

          OSUsername = OSUsername.toUpperCase();

I think the above is Java?

My client wants me to write a dll to replace the
AXWin32Util.getOSUserName(address, host) method call.

I don't have access to either the original source (dll) or the source to
the calling app. Just the text above.

If I create a COM dll called psdi.util.AXWin32Util.dll with a
getOSUserName method and register it on the target server what are the
chances it will work?

I suspect the answer is zero.

Dotnet is not allowed. No installation is allowed. The server is Win
2003 sp2.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers

Michael