[dba-VB] C# Grid: effectively and efficiently handle dirty

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jan 20 11:52:25 CST 2011

I am doing C# forms, bound to SQL Server.  I dragged and dropped the table out onto the form and C#
"installed" the grid as well as a record navigation toolbar.

Now I am trying to make sure that data is saved.  I have discovered for example that if you edit
something and just close the form... no save.  Basically no save unless the save button is pressed.

Being the anal guy I am, this ain't good enough.  I don't want to save after every cell edit, but I
do want to save after every row edit or when the form closes.  Even this is non-trivial.

After browsing the internet and seeing what others are doing (lots of pain expressed), my strategy
is to have a RowDirty set by the CellContentsModified but to be honest, things just aren't working
as expected.  The row leave isn't fired if I sink the CellModified (or something).  All I can see
for sure is that, while one would expect the row leave to fire if a row is left (makes sense to me)
that isn't true and so now I am left with trying to figure out what zany rules exist.

So here I am, hat in hand, asking the list "how do you do this"?