[dba-VB] Rapid Application Development: LightSwitch 2011 (no beta)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Sep 11 02:54:20 CDT 2011

Hi John

Not currently, but we do have a client with a heavily customized Access 97 application which we delivered summer 1999 and have expanded in steps through the years. This is for an organisation of dealers of agricultural machinery (combined harvesters, etc.) and as you can imagine, age is showing. It's not a question of reliability as the app has ran with zero errors or breakdowns. But new desktops we run with Windows 7 32-bit to avoid trouble with A97 and 64-bit OS, web interface is missing, etc.

The office is only five people so budget is if not tight then limited and, as the app (three frontends actually with two backends for data and pictures) runs the full business, a replacement must be efficient and predictable to develop. However, the app contains nothing fancy - it's really a typical Line Of Business app taking care of everything a small organisation needs - exactly what LightSwitch is for.

So my plan is to model an introductory LS app to demonstrate how a single task could be performed and see if the client likes it. Then move on with a SQL Server 2008 backend (already running on their SBS).

If you should ask, we have no intention to move the app to Access 2010. I regard Access as a dead end for developers and the lack of a web interface other than SharePoint is a show-stopper.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 11-09-2011 01:30 >>>
Are you using this in production or even heading there?