[dba-VB] Rapid Application Development: LightSwitch 2011 (nobeta)

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sun Sep 11 03:49:12 CDT 2011

Hi Gustav --

<<<
However, the app contains nothing fancy - it's really a typical
Line Of Business app taking care of everything a small
organization needs - exactly what LightSwitch is for.

Why then not make it (3/n-tiered) WinForms application, and when it will be
really needed and so there will be funding for that UI work then make a
"fancy"

- SilverLight,
- MS LightSwitch,
- Windows Phone 7,
- WPF,
- ASP.NET,
- "whatever else will be hot that time" ...

user interface?

IMO/in my experience developing WinForms apps with MS SQL 2008 FE is several
times/a matter of magnitude RAD-der than developing MS Access apps - and I
mean solid professional application development not "power-users toys". And
stability/flexibility/"multi-threadability"/scalability/... of 3/n-tiered
.NET applications is practically unlimited...

And you can develop 32-bit (WinForms) .NET apps and run them on 64 bit
systems with MS Access or MS SQL backend - just use corflags.exe
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164699(v=vs.80).aspx)