[dba-VB] How hard are reports like this?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jan 4 06:44:19 CST 2012

Hi John

If so, I think that somehow the raw data are imported from several log files, then aggregated, and then this "DotNet" builds the report table by table using basic HTML coding and finally saves the HTML file on the server. Pretty easy.

The only true reporting tool I've used in Visual Studio is the Report Designer which is a great tool of very high capabilities. We - mostly Shamil and I - used it for the Northwind.net project, you know, and I've used it for other projects as well. It is much different from Access reports but once you have "got it" it is a pleasure to work with. The internal language which you mostly use for expressions is, by the way and much to my surprise, VB style so that will present a zero learning curve for you.

The final reports are presented using the ReportViewer controls:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251671(v=VS.100).aspx

There are some browser limitations though which may be prohibitive in your case:

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 04-01-2012 12:48 >>>
 > Not quite sure what your question is?

Me either.

This is the same client as the database from hell.  The website and this report were farmed out to a
web site development company who has since been dismissed.  It looks like I might be able to get the
work developing reports such as these.  I haven't seen the code that generates the report but I am
told by someone without a clue that it is done in "DotNet".

So I have no idea whether that is in fact the case but I suspect it is because this person without a
clue has been talking to a programmer brought in to tweak (or perhaps finish) the report.  The deal
is that this programmer has a day job and doesn't sound as if he really wants to be involved with
tweaking / finishing this report but is doing so "as time permits" as a favor to his cousin.

Since there is a development void, I want to examine stepping in as the developer here.  So is there
a .Net environment used for this kind of thing?  Is that ASP.Net?  I see C# Asp.Net projects which
perhaps is used for building the web site itself, and maybe the report itself.

I will know more today sometime.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away