[dba-VS] Visual Studio 2013 and Version Control

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 10:03:42 CST 2015

On the (apparent) advice of Shamil I decided to forget GitHub and simply
downloaded and installed the pieces required to run SVN with VS 2013.  I
have run SVN since I started my projects somewhere around 2007 and it
has run flawlessly ever since.  I checked the current 2010 project out
and it was placed into the 2013 directory chain, but failed to compile
due to missing references to DLLs.  I zipped the dlls referenced under
VS2010, created a References directory under the 2013 dir chain, and
placed those DLLS into that location on the new DEV machine.  Opened the
solution, clicked on the references and they magically fixed themselves
to point to the 2013 references location.  The project now compiles and
runs under 2013.

Source control is magic and sure does make things simpler.

BTW my old dev machine was a VM running Server 2003 X32, and had VS2005,
VS2008 and VS2010 installed.  Shows you how long ago I started this.

My "new" VM is running Server 2008 R2 X64 and VS2013.