[AccessD] Store Settings

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jun 29 07:12:21 CDT 2004

On 29 Jun 2004 at 12:37, Griffiths, Richard wrote:

> Has anyone advice on using ini files, registry or a db to store
> workstation etc settings.
>
> About to rewrite a system and I am reviewing the above in the light that
> certain users do not have the appropriate security to
> update the registry.  At the moment I use some data stored on the
> workstation in an access db and some in the registry - I am tempted to
> stick all setting in an ini file.  Can anyone advise the important pros
> and cons.

I *never* use the registry to store settings.  It causes all sorts of problems
if you need to move your application. This can happen for any number of
reasons, including upgrading hardware, system crashes, changes in business
operations etc,etc

Keeping all settings in an local ini file or in an mdb makes the application
portable.

The choice between an mdb and a text .ini file is generally determined by the
complexity of what you are saving. If it is only a few settings, It is simple
enough to read and write an .ini file as required. If there are a lot of
settings which are subject to frequent change while the application is running,
the benefits of a table in an mdb  outweigh the extra overhead of opening
another mdb.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg