[AccessD] What is .Net - was Access/SQL

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 14 16:24:19 CST 2009

If you have ever read about the architecture of .Net, the language is a very thin veneer over the
framework.  Each language is slightly different and as of now, each language exposes a handful of
things that the others don't.  That means that (for now) C# can do a few things that VB cannot, but
VB can do a few things that C# cannot.  However... you can use BOTH in the same project so if you
have a language preference but absolutely need the capabilities of the other language(s) then use
them where needed.

Try doing THAT in Access.  Access is without par in what it does, but it has definite limitations
and weaknesses, and to try to claim otherwise or cover them up does a disservice to everyone.

The following is not what I read before but it is a good explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

http://www.devx.com/assets/summitdays/2679.pdf

http://www.midnightbeach.com/dotNetArchitecture.2002.html