[dba-Tech] Security measures

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Aug 27 16:17:13 CDT 2003

Steven W. Erbach wrote:
<snip>
> VERY good advice. I use Norton Ghost on a regular basis though I have never
> needed to make the Ghosted drive the main drive due to a failure of the
> primary. I assume that all that needs to be done is for the master/slave
> jumpers to be moved around and you're back in business, right?

I create images not ghost to a mirror drive... the diffrence is you can
(depending on the amount of data on your main hdd) have 2-3 or more
images on one hdd... I've got an old 300mb Original image for win2k w/
nothing loaded except the SP2 patch and Office 2000.  It's quite a bit
easier this way cuz you can just take your corrupted OS dump the image
on it placing you back before the patch was installed.  Windows Update
unfortunately loads a whole lotta stuff that more often than not breaks
your stable OS.

>>>Mozilla Thunderbird <<
>

> You're one of quite a number of people that have said that OE and Outlook
> are to be avoided. Thanks for the input.

I was a DIE hard OE user until very recently... I have never liked
Outlook because it causes system instability and that's when it's
working right!... The main reason that I always stuck w/OE was because I
liked the integration between it and Hotmail, but have recently been
introduced w/ a little program called Hotmail Popper (www.boolean.ca)
it's very neat... you can now use ANY email program to access your
hotmail account, and it's free.. and works.. so far so good at least..
I've been using ThunderMail full time now for almost a week and find
that all the features I liked in OE are better in Tbird.  PLUS now I use
mailwasher less because Tbird has built in Junk Mail detection... so far
no false positives.
--
-Francisco