[dba-Tech] Skype compromised?

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Jan 28 23:32:06 CST 2013

Hi Arthur,

I of course can't say this for certain, but it could very well be that classic scam, like the one where someone from Microsoft is calling you to let you know you have a virus on your computer. They then walk you through allowing them to remote desktop onto your computer. Once they have access, they install malware under the pretence that it is windows updates or security software and also disable any firewall or other security app you have installed. they then thank you for your time and you go on your merry way thinking, "thank goodness for microsoft! those guys give great service! i can feel safe knowing I no longer have malware on my computer". Of course, quite the opposite has happened and your computer is now talking to some command and control server out there waiting for instructions on what to do next or key logging when you login to online banking or even as far as to encrypt some of your more important files and demanding a ransom to be paid.

fun stuff!

- hans