[AccessD] Access database on the Internet

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 30 11:57:57 CST 2003

There is/was a way to do this with Access using RDS DataFactory. There
are security concerns and as far as I know it fell into disfavour. But
is still maintained in MDAC 2.5. Your client may have heard of this. I
know companies that still use it.

http://www.able-consulting.com/RDS_Faq.htm
http://www.able-consulting.com/rds25.htm

Remote Data Services (RDS)
Remote Data Services (RDS) is a proprietary Microsoft mechanism for
accessing remote data across the Internet or intranet. Microsoft is now
shipping the Microsoft Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) Toolkit 2.0
that enables you to access remote data using an open, XML-based
standard. Given the availability of the SOAP Toolkit 2.0, you should
migrate from RDS to SOAP. The SOAP 2.0 Toolkit 2.0 also includes sample
code for remotely accessing Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) Recordsets.