[AccessD] Windows Home Server update

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 20 13:38:15 CST 2007

Oh I absolutely agree.  Systems are designed to perform a function and they
are usually designed with the minimum requirements to perform that function.
I think that for the average user the HP is exactly the right combination.
I do think however that the power delta between the processor selected and
the X2 USING THE NEW 65nm CHIPS would be small.  Again it is hard to tell
because they don't give us the part number but there are two Semprons listed
in the NewEgg list, one a 65 watt and another a 45 watt.  The X2 can be had
in a 65 watt chip:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103046

The thing to remember too is that the processor is probably less than 25% of
the total power drawn.  The motherboard almost certainly draws more than
that by itself, each hard disk draws some and the power supply itself
consumes some power.  So if the total is let's say 150 watts, dropping the
processor power by 20 watts gives a total of ~13% power savings.  Not
insubstantial as a % of total but certainly not a deal breaker either.  OTOH
more memory = more power, and for it's intended usage the Sempron gets the
job done, AND it is cheaper to boot, so it absolutely does make sense to do
that.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting