[AccessD] Moderator Message

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:58:18 CDT 2009

In the minds of most subscribers, AccessD = Database Advisors, so this is a
critical discussion for the group.

It's obvious that the quality and volume of the AccessD discussion has
declined, even though the quality of the participants has remained
consistent.

In my view, this discussion boils down to one question: Is the Access
development market declining?
If the answer is No, then we must ask what we must do to attract newbies and
keep the list vital and fresh.
If the answer is Yes, then we must consider ways of evolving the list to
keep up with changing times.

I think that the web is doing us in, one way or the other. Either we are
being out-competed for newbies by more modern, web-based sources of
technical information, or web-based data applications are out-competing
Access as the newbie application development platform of choice.

I am surprised that Andy and Stuart are surprised that other lists like
dba-Tech aren't getting use. Take a look at the current mailing lists page:
it show 13 options, 8 of which are clearly irrelevant to any newcomer.
dba-Tech is buried near the bottom. This screen provides NO reason why
someone should read, let alone subscribe to, anything below the top option.
I think the majority have resoundingly spoken with their subscription
preferences.

Getting new subscribers is critical to the succeass of AccessD/Database
Advisors. This means, at the very least, retooling the Database Advisors
site and lists to be easier to use and find, and at most, reinventing
Database Advisors itself so it is relevant to a new generation of database
programmers.

Of course, we could do nothing, and watch the list slowly die like a
knitting circle at an old folk's home.

-Ken