[AccessD] ...building, managing, and using a page favorites list

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Mar 9 14:58:52 CDT 2009

Ok William, I put a really quick and dirty...and I mean REALLY quick and
dirty example together: http://www.marlow.com/menu.zip

It uses two classes, MenuItems (the collection class) and MenuItem.
MenuItems builds the menus, an AllItem collection gets a list of all the
menu items, and then there is a collection for favorites, recent items,
and a mix of favorites and recent.  If you want to 'age check' the
favorites, it would be a simple criteria in the WHERE statement for the
timestamp field.

I rarely build Access interfaces, and most of the ones I've built only
have a handful of forms or reports.  So I just put in 5 forms and 5
reports, with 3 macros.  None of them have or do anything, other then
display what they are.  But when you click on an item in the menu, it
runs that item by using the MenuItem class and it's Execute method.  The
execute method runs the menu item, and also records who ran it and when
it was run (for the recent items list).

The recent items list only grabs the last 10 items (TOP 10, distinctrow
(so you don't get duplicate items) ordered descending).  The fav/recent
group only puts the last 5 most recent into the mix.

Like I said though, this was down and dirty.  The menu doesn't update
automatically, you have to close and open it.  It wouldn't be too hard
to make it update automatically though, I just don't have the time to
code that.  With a treeview, you can count, add and remove nodes (and
their children).  So from a coding aspect, it would simply be a matter
of after executing the item, to run a check, that determines the count
of the recent/favorites and adding any items (and removing ones that go
over the limits you want).

Drew