[AccessD] Fun and games in web design

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jul 19 21:47:12 CDT 2012

I hope and pray that the HTML5 thing does what it promises.  However I have to tell you that to this
point I have not seen anything approaching a real database *anywhere* on the web that didn't
positively suck to use.

My call center app, at the client's request has about 14 tabs.  The client looks up a claim and
opens this form and has access to each and every part of the claim just by clicking on the
appropriate tab.  They love it.

Maybe it is just me but I cannot see that happening in a browser.  First of all there is crosstalk
between subforms, pulling data from one part of the claim to allow / prevent other parts from doing
things etc.

Anyway, let me just say "I'll believe it if I ever see it."  In the meantime, I have browsed a baout
a bajillion web sites and they pretty much all suck.  Which doesn't mean they don't work, just that
they suck to try and manuever around.  Just try to find anything in Lowes builder for example.  Holy
cow.  Ask for lumber and get about 16 thousand hits for everything from nails to boards to wire to
... With silly circular sub menus off to the side which are supposed to get me closer to what I want.

Amazon is the same way.  Ask for anything, ANYTHING and watch what you get, from baby crap to books
to dvds.

No idea how they decide what to return but it is not easy or intuitive.

And I have to say, most banks terminals look like they are legacy systems from the 70s.  And
probably are!  ;)  It may play well over the web but that doesn't make it cool or easy to use.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it