[AccessD] Relationships

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:17:36 CST 2022

Stuart,
I took a look. Not up to the task. But then I remeghmbered that I still
have a copy of PowerDesigner, from back before SAP bought it I haven't
re-installed it yet, and it probably won't work with ACCDB files, but I
have a parallel copy in MDB format, so that might work.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 4:39 PM Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
wrote:

> Do you want to use the relationships DIAGRAM to view the database
> structure or to modify
> the relationships?
>
> If you only want to diagram the relationships take a look a t dBeaver.  It
> lets you create a full
> ER diagrams  and  zoom in and out, play with the layout, print it etc. You
> can also create a
> diagrams howing all relationships involving just a specific table.
>
> https://github.com/dbeaver/dbeaver/wiki/Database-Structure-Diagrams
>
> Unfortunately, it is not a relationship manager.  To edit relationship,
> you will still need to go
> into the Access Relationships window and select the tables you are want to
> edit.
>

> On 12 Feb 2022 at 15:48, Arthur Fuller wrote:
>
> > One of the most hateful things about Access is its implementation of
> > the Relationships diagram. Maybe theye team underestimated the
> > ambitions of Access developers, but when you get to 100 tables a
> > single diagram is ludicrous at best. By contrast, even the Community
> > versions of SQL Server allow creation of numerous diagrams, enabling
> > you to focus on some small group of trees, Rather than the whole
> > jungle at once. I have a client who doesn't wish to move to SQL
> > Server. My only alternative ithat I know of is to migrate the BE to
> > SQL Server, create many Relationship diagrams there, perform my
> > adjustments there, and then painstakingly copy them back to the ACCDB.
> > Maybe some heavyweights like Jim Dettman (MVP) could put a bee(r) in
> > the bonnets of the Access Dev team toward fixing this serious
> > inadequacy. This is sooo frustrating!
> >
> > --
> > Arthur
> > --