[AccessD] Book or writing template

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 16:08:14 CDT 2022

I am trying to write an ebook for my classes and events.  I keep getting
bogged down in formatting.  TBH I have never written a book before and it
is a skill I have never mastered obviously.  Anyway, I am trying very hard
to use LibreOffice Writer rather than Office Word.  I have googled and I
just don't understand the whole template thing.  I downloaded and opened
several and though they do in fact seem to include 'all you need' what they
don't do is teach 'these are the tasks, and this is how you use them in
this template'.

My challenge is that I do not expect to make any money on this thing due to
the limited audience, and so paying much if anything for a Pro to do this
for me is a problem.  Not to mention that the worse my formatting, the more
time such a person would have to spend.

And so I am reaching out to this forum for advice.  I know that Rocky wrote
his book.  I know that Arthur has written an ebook.  And I know that Susan
writes for tech magazines.  So perhaps one of you or others on this list
can recommend a good book (ebook / kindle preferably) which discusses the
process of writing a book, focusing on using a modern editor to set up
everything.  And then discuss which if any template you use for your
writing.

I am thinking about such things as 'use this font for the main text, use
this for code, use this for notes'.  How to automatically format a section
of already written text to be one of those things.  For now I care less
about 'page and paragraph widows and orphans' and all that. Making  a TOC
and hyperlinks to get at the correct location would be good.

I just want to discover 'this is a good template for writing a technical
book, these are the things that a template does for you, and this is how
you get these things done using this template'.

I have a ton written but I need to make the push to get it done.  It was
written over the years, much of it came from the AccessD emails from long
ago, I have cut and pasted various things into a single document, and
therefore I have a mess I need to clean up.

Colby Consulting