[AccessD] On the subject of backups

Paul Wolstenholme Paul.W at industrialcontrol.co.nz
Wed Jan 25 15:19:49 CST 2023

For me, I'm particularly concerned about recovering files I might otherwise
lose through finger trouble, perhaps not noticed for some time.  That means
I keep backups as at various dates in the past.  These are on USB HDDs with
an NTFS folder structure starting with top folders that represent the
backup date and everything I backed up in a folder structure underneath.
Nothing special is needed for recovery, which is ideal when software keeps
going out of fashion.

Initially I tried several backup packages, but in the end I settled on my
own scripts.
Primarily I use ROBOCOPY to update a mirror image on my NAS (RAID1).
The NAS updates a mirror image on a USB HDD (I have several that are
rotated for geographic diversity).
The clever bit comes in the script that creates an additional copy of the
USB HDD image and then makes an additional copy under a folder named with
the current date.  You might expect this to fill the drive very quickly -
but this is NOT the case if the copy is made using "hard links".  This
means that files that do not change are stored only once on the file system
with multiple directory entries all pointing to the same file.  (I use the
NTFS file system - but I recall reading that all posix compatible
file systems do it.)  If any dated backup structure is deleted, the related
files are only deleted when there are no further links to that file.

To create the hard link copies I've always used LN.exe by Hermann
Schinagl.  The technique is referred to as a DeLorean copy.

The down sides to this process are:
- I find the copy process slows down once the number of hard link copies
gets to a dozen or so on the same drive.  I believe that relates to the way
the file system is structured and updated.
- The delete process also slows down as the number of hard linked copies on
the same drive increases.
- The hard linked backup copies should NOT be edited in place.  Doing so
might change every copy of that file rather than just the one copy you
intended to change.  I always copy backup files elsewhere before opening
them.

That's my 2c worth.  Perhaps it shows my distrust of anything I didn't do
myself.