[dba-Tech] Re: [AccessD] System Settings Etc

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 17 20:19:36 CST 2003

On 17 Dec 2003 at 9:10, William Hindman wrote:

> "(I wonder if we shouldn't continue over on dba-Tech :)" Bryan
>
> ...lol ...once a moderator ...always a moderator :)

Yea, something like that :-))

> ...btw ...what do you find in Belarc that Aida won't turn up? ...I'm
> curious why you think you need both ...its not that I have anything
> against Belarc ...but I found Aida did more and its free to use on my
> client's systems as well ...just wondering if I need to look at Belarc
> again, eh?

It's been a while since I have used them (about a year), so I am
going on a foggy memory.

They each found different "installed" apps and different patches and
updates.

IIRC, Belarc gave more info on apps that didn't have an entry in
Add/Remove Programs. BUt it didn't get all of them. While AIda got
most of the apps in the Add/Remove, it got some that Belarc knew
nothing about.

Belarc seemed to give more version info. V5.05.32434.3425435 of app A
while Aida gave V 5.05 and not all the revision numbers.

When I last used them I *THINK* Belarc missed a couple of Win2K
updates, while Aida saw them, maybe it was the other way around. I
don't remember, that part is a bit fuzzier than the rest. There was
something about patches that one gave that the other didn't.

Now, please remember that I am trying to recall resoning from over a
year ago, and these days I forget what I was doing 5 minutes ago let
alone last year :(

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never
cease to be amused.