[dba-Tech] Determine if modem should answer or not.

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Wed Nov 10 01:34:42 CST 2004

I'm not familiar with caller Id on analogue lines.
I have with ISDN equiment, in that equipment you can usealy program
directly in the equipment (Terminal Adapter is the modem for ISDN) a
number(s) for which to pickup. This is the only solution because you can
not tell in ras for whom to pick up.

I never used Caller Id on analogue lines but I supose that some AT
string must be available in the modem to set a incoming phone number. I
supose this will be a more expensive modem.
This way it is the modem that decides for whom to pickup instead of ras.

In the old day (before Euro ISDN) I seen small boxes that could
distinguesh between faxmodem (by the beep) and voice lines. They would
pick up the line inmediatly and listen if a beep (carrier signal) is
present. If not it would transfer to the phone connector and ring the
phone. If a carrier was detected it would transfer the call to the modem
connector and let it ring. This device generates a small beep before
transferring the call to trigger the fax or modem on the other side.
This would be a second, maybe the best solution for you, bu I'm not
aware if this till exists.

Infact this kind of device is now built in to this home faxes with a
phone included...

To shorten my story.
Two solutions.

1) Find a modem that supports caller ID and where you can program a
number to pick IN THE MODEM.
With for example an AT string that you put in the default modem
properties in Windows.

2) Find this autoswitch device to distingues fax/modem and voice trafic
on your line. This device has one line input and two (1x Voice 1x
fax/modem) output.

Erwin