[dba-Tech] [SPAM SUSPECT] Re: Norton Strip mdbs

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Feb 16 11:28:46 CST 2006

Rocky,
I quit using Norton (on my main machine) when Norton's 2005 turned out to be
such a pain. I have a lot of clients using it (not by my recommendation-they
upgraded without asking me) so I still have it on a secondary machine just
to keep tabs on it. Up until 2005 I used to recommend Norton Internet
Security for SOHOs.

I have moved my main machine (and many clients) to Computer Associates EZ
Internet Security (which is the home version of its corporate security
products. The suite includes eTrust antivirus, PestPatrol (one of the best
anti-spywares), Qurb (anti-spam works very good but not with TB yet) and
CA's branded ZoneAlarm firewall. You can pick this up with rebates for $0
right now, along with a nice little kit of cable adapters:
http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpN
o=1389168&CatId=984

I never pushed Norton's corporate edition for business clients. When I
could, I've used CA eTrust for small businesses with networks. Most of my
small business clients have been using eTrust AV for a couple of years now.
No problems.

I also have the benefit of working in area where SBC is offering a free
security suite for customers that includes CA's AV. So most of my work is
now with CA's products. I joined their "partner program" but really get no
benefit from it. Some phone calls andmailings that just annoy me and a real
contact if something goes wrong - but I've never had to use it. So I am
really not jaded by it. If they do a "Norton" on me I'd drop it like I did
Norton (and McAfee before them).

Like McAfee a decade ago, I have abandoned Norton for another company that
seems to put customers first. If your Norton is stable and your subscription
isn't in need of renewal you may want to wait a month before buying CA EZ as
they have released a new version which integrates the product's interfaces.
But of course you'll pay for that version too (I think this is the very
reason for the nice rebates).

I use AVG personal edition when the license agreement allows for it. Just
because I refuse to rip off software from anyone. (Once you've had your own
stolen it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth!) You can use it on anything
but the license says only for "personal home use" not non-profit, schools or
business use. You can purchase AVG for that purpose though I have never
known anyone that actually paid for it. Top notch product. If you're one
that likes to use separate products for separate purposes it is one to
consider. I don't know about their suite bundles though as its not all their
products anyway.

The same for Antivir.

I don't care for Panda's products - they do work though.

The local cable co. is offering a free security suite for their customers
and it includes F-Secure's products. Although it works properly it is a pig
and really slows down the machines. I have replaced it with AVG where
applicable.

I don't use McAfee any more and am almost Mcafee free with my client base
now.

I like Trend Micros AV product but not there anti-spy.

So, if it isn't evident from above I recommend CA's security products.

I really like CounterSpy for antispyware. As I do Spysweeper. If you decide
to go with something besides CA's suite - I would recommend one of these for
antispyware along with it. No other AV company has a decent antispyware
product yet (certainly not Norton's ant-spyware!). And to be honest CA just
bought up one of the top antispyware products PestPatrol which I guess has
now been proven as a better way to accomplish the goal than trying to build
their own ;o)

HTH
John B.